Man dies by suicide outside Lockheed Martin plant near Texas’ Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base – New York Daily News

A man shot and killed himself early Thursday outside the main entrance gate of Lockheed Martin’s plant in Texas, prompting a brief lockdown and explosives investigation.

Authorities responded to the aerospace company building, located northwest of Fort Worth near the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, at around 5:35 a.m., according to the Forth Worth Star-Telegram. Police Chief Christopher Cook told reporters responding officers discovered a man in his 60s already dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Prior to their arrival, the man appeared to be in “distress” as he attempted to enter the facility before eventually being confronted by security. Cook noted that the man was armed with a shotgun, which he eventually used to kill himself.

He has not been identified.

Lockheed Martin Aeronautics in White Settlement, Texas.

“We are investigating whether he is an employee or a former employee,” Cook said. “We are working with Lockheed…really we can answer that question when we have his true identity.”

Due to the early morning chaos, police closed the front door and redirected employees who attempted to enter the facility and begin their workdays.

Authorities quickly ruled the incident was not an active shooter situation, but opted to lock down the area to further investigate a “suspicious device” in the suspect’s vehicle. Cook said police then extended their lockdown area “based on comments made by the suspect prior to the shooting.”

The man allegedly told security he was looking for a federal office and wanted to speak to the FBI, which guards interpreted as a potential security threat, Cook said. He also noted that some wires came from the man’s truck and “wanted to be 100% sure there were no devices” inside.

See also  JP Morgan Chase investors voted down payout for CEO Jamie Dimon – New York Daily News

No explosives were found during an X-ray of the vehicle and a briefcase inside.

“This situation and incident has been made safe,” authorities said in a tweet midday Thursday. “@fortworthpd. Deminers did not identify any explosive device inside the suspect vehicle.

The entrance door to the facility was reopened approximately two hours after the initial response.

Leave a Comment